Photo Credit: Neville Lockheart
Make this chicken dish for a family meal or even for a fabulous dinner with friends. The Mediterranean ingredients complement each other so well.
From Make five
Serves 4 – 6
Dairy free/ Gluten free/ Kid friendly
15 ml (1 tbsp) olive or avocado oil
8 chicken portions, excess fat removed
2 red onions, sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 each red and yellow peppers, seeded and cut into strips
2 x 410 g tins cherry tomatoes or chopped tomatoes
125 ml (½ cup) chicken stock or Rooibos tea
2 bay leaves
8 sprigs fresh origanum
8 sprigs fresh thyme
15-20 olives, pitted and halved
30 ml (2 tbsp) capers (optional)
lemon juice, salt and pepper
handful fresh origanum and thyme leaves
- Heat oil in a large saucepan and fry chicken until golden brown. Spoon out and drain on paper towel.
- Sauté onions and garlic until soft. Add peppers and sauté for a few minutes.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients, except the chicken and the handful of fresh herbs. Bring to a boil over medium heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Place chicken in the sauce and stir to coat the chicken. Reduce the heat, cover with a lid and simmer for 30-40 minutes or until the chicken is cooked. Season to taste.
- Stir in the fresh herbs and serve on small portions of wholewheat couscous seasoned with more herbs and a little olive oil for extra flavour